Friday, January 11, 2008

Learning from David's life

I'm working through A Heart Like His by Beth Moore with a young single mom at my church, and I am amazed at how much is packed into David's life. I'm always so appreciative that when God inspired scripture, He included people with their warts and all. It means so much to me that even when David messed up (and he did, and I do), God worked to reconcile David to Himself, because that gives me hope. Once David had repented of his sin, even though he had to live with the consequences, God forgave him and still used his life for God's purposes and promised such beautiful things to him. When I think of all the messed-up decisions and actions and thoughts I have made over the years, I am amazed at God's grace. I should be useless for the Kingdom, yet God still wants to use me. I should be cast aside for losing so many opportunities to testify for Him, yet God still gives me new opportunities, including two little boys who need to see Christ in me. There's only one perfect man in the Bible, and he is also God. I'm so thankful today that Jesus, the perfect God-man, chose to give up His life that I might live eternally.

One of my favorite praise songs comes from Paul's writings, and I love the recording by Phillips, Craig and Dean. I can really shatter some glass with "For I am crucified with Christ, and yet I live! Not I, but Christ who lives within me. His cross will never ask for more than I can give, for it's not my strength but His. There's no greater sacrifice, for I am crucified with Christ, and yet I live!"

Now that's a happy Friday thought.

No comments: