Thursday, August 28, 2008

Looking for a New Job

I am hunting for a new job. Somehow, after ten years away from the full-time workforce, I thought this was going to be easier than it has been. I know that some of my skills are rusty, and that my field tends to be slim in economic hard times, but I just knew it would be different for me. Because I'm delusional like that, I guess. After applying for 30+ jobs, I'm adjusting my expectations. Maybe working at the golden arches is a viable option. The boys would really think it was cool.

However, I did interview for a position this week. It's in training, and I will need to go back and present a sample class - it's really the only way to evaluate how well someone teaches. So, I'm casting about for an appropriate topic, given that I know next to nothing about my audience. If it were you in the audience, would you rather sit through 30-45 minutes on improving your writing, or basic presentation skills, or basic graphic design concepts, or some type of efficiency/time management training? This will be a multimedia extravaganza - PowerPoint is encouraged.

On a related note, the boys are really looking forward to the prospect of being in after-school care. I have let them know that I'm looking for a job, and some ways our life will change when that happens, thinking that this is a big change and I should prepare them for it. However, it really hasn't turned out that they are concerned - more like 'haven't you found a job YET?' Big Boy came downstairs the other morning and his first words of the day were: "So, Mom, what happens if you don't find a job?" Well, nothing, son. Things will stay like they have been. So, why did he look disappointed?

1 comment:

Tish said...

If it is at all appropriate - improving your writing. It shows that you bring something different to the table with your experience. Second choice would be basic graphic design. What makes it my 2nd choice topic? There are lots of people out there that *think* they know a thing or twelve about graphic design because they put out a newsletter once.