Monday, April 7, 2008

Spring is here, so my sinus cavities tell me

The Volunteer Peach household had a lovely visit with my family this weekend - which means five adults and five kids in a three-bedroom house. Family togetherness - there's nothing like it!

Every Spring when my mother comes, she raves and raves about how green it is here. The greenness is due to what I affectionately call (especially after last summer's drought) the monsoon season. We normally receive so much rain here in the spring that we temporarily become a mushroom haven, all over the yard. As soon as the grass dries from the last rain, an amazing roar is heard -- simultaneous cranking of every lawnmower in the vicinity, as people sprint to cut their yards before the next shower.

I really love spring, all the new leaves and blooming flowers and trees and, actually, the rain. The main reason I love the rain is that it washes lots of pollen out of the air. Because my allergies are so bad that even Allegra, Flonase and Advair doesn't completely keep them at bay. So, generally, I enjoy spring through glass. It's kind of like a terrarium in reverse -- all the beautiful stuff is outside, and I'm in -- the house, the car, that kind of thing.

So, given those facts, what on earth would make me decide to go camping with my two Cub Scouts this coming weekend? Insanity, I tell you -- it's brought on by all those pregnancy hormones, and apparently never wears off. I wonder if it's possible to whip up an Allegra/Zyrtec/Claritin cocktail?

No comments: