Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ten is uncharted territory here

Oh, the big boy in our house. Ten has already flung down the gauntlet, making it clear that we are in for some massive changes. His body is changing -- not puberty, not yet, God is good -- but how he is put together. He's getting more muscular, heavier, more capable. He brings in groceries now without much trouble (misslisslee hums the Hallelujah chorus). He's developing a sense of humor that is more grown-up (happily bidding good-bye to the knock-knock jokes that make no sense at all).

He's getting glasses today. He's reading big, thick books (he remarked a couple of days ago that 300-400 pages seemed about the ideal book size to him). His little brother is really driving him nuts (isn't that why little brothers exist?), but he's trying to be patient. At least when mom and dad are around.

He's thinking differently. He told me yesterday that, when he and dad were driving to church Sunday morning, they listened to part of a sermon on the radio, and he liked it. It was from the book of Romans and was talking about the law, and he remembered seemingly everything he heard. He seems like a sponge more than ever lately, soaking up everything that comes his way.

So, ten is good. We're going to be wrestling with it a bit, I think, but it's good. I'm so thankful for this boy, who is tiptoeing toward that path that will turn him into a man. I'm so scared that I'm not mothering him like I should, and so grateful for grace. For the Lord who decreed that I am the mother this child needs loves him so much more than I can. He is the God who sees, as he told Hagar, and he sees us today. He knows that I will fall short, and I believe that He will make up the difference.

My job is to keep His word as a lamp for my feet and a light for my path, and hopefully to show ten the path to eleven, and then twelve, and I justcan'tthinkanyfartherthanthatrightnow. And to remind my heart that mothering is a job that changes every day, and eventually involves letting go. So today, I'm picking up that gauntlet and meeting the challenge. Ten, let's see what you've got!

No comments: