Thursday, July 31, 2008

What I read on my summer vacation

We spent yesterday afternoon corralling school supplies for each boy, as the first day of school looms large next week. So, in the spirit of back-to-school writing assignments, I thought I'd share this list of some selected summer reading highlights:

A Rush of Wings and Secrets, by Kristen Heitzmann - I had actually read A Rush of Wings before, and forgotten it. These are suspenseful Christian romances. I would put them in the same category with Dee Henderson and Terri Blackstock's writing - a bit better than Blackstock, not quite as good as Henderson. The characters are multi-faceted and feel like real people. The plot is condensed a bit too much in places, but great summer reading. I've put in a wish on PaperBackSwap for the sequel to Secrets, so I liked it enough to want to spend a precious credit on the sequel.

Robin Paige's Victorian/Edwardian mysteries - this is a series of 12 mysteries, beginning with Death at Bishop's Keep and ending with Death on the Lizard. I was looking for a series that I would enjoy as much as Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody Emerson books or Laurie King's Mary Russell Holmes series, and this one has definitely held my interest. The basic premise of the series is to take fictional characters and intersperse them with real historical personages, intertwining a mystery in the process. I've read all but the last one, and they were entertaining and filled with period details.

Tasha Alexander's A Fatal Waltz - third in a series. I enjoyed the first two so much that I ordered the hardcover of this book, which puts her in the Elizabeth Peters category for me. I like the character and the suspenseful plots, and I enjoy novels set in this period - obviously, as I have read a lot of them!

The last is one I'm eagerly awaiting - Elizabeth Peters' new book in the Vicky Bliss series is released in August, and I have it on preorder.

What have you read this summer? Anything less 'fluffy' than my list?

No comments: