Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thankful

Wow, what a nasty night! I'm not much on reading scientific studies and all, but the fact that these kinds of storms are in January and February and not, oh I don't know, March and April, says that maybe there's something to this whole global warming thing. Seasons sure don't look now like they did when I was a kid. I don't think we had more than a handful of bad thunderstorms all spring and summer, and then we're getting them in the wintertime instead.

I am so thankful that we came out of it okay. No tornadoes, just a series of storms and then one last storm with really strong straight-line winds. We live in a windy area and are pretty accustomed to strong gusts, especially since we live on a hill overlooking a field, and there's nothing to break the wind. Last night, however, was a whole new ballgame. We spent some time in our downstairs bathroom as a family (just appreciating family togetherness?), and the wind drove in rain all around my front door to the point that it took three big bath towels to sop up most of it. Is that a big deal? Certainly not. Was I wearing my knees out in prayer? Absolutely.

So, today I'm praying for those who lost so much last night. That the Lord will restore them. That He will comfort grieving families. That His provision will be powerful, visible and miraculous. And that this will be a reminder to those of us who could use it to be thankful for blessings and open-handed and generous in sharing them with others.

No comments: