Saturday, January 12, 2008

If anyone tells you propane heat is efficient, or inexpensive

....laugh maniacally, then run as fast as you can the other way. Because they are infected with the crazy.

When we bought this house a couple of years ago (not a McMansion, it's under 2000 square feet), it was a couple of years old, and has a propane furnace and hot water heater. We're out in the country- five miles from a town with one red light. That scene from The Notebook where they are lying underneath the red light could have happened here. Therefore, natural gas isn't available. So, we filled the tank in September and then the truck showed up just after the first of the year. The total was over $800. To fill the tank only 80 percent full. And we keep our house so cool that my mom asked if we didn't heat it during the day -- the thermostat is set at 64 during the day and 60 at night.

We just finished Little Town on the Prairie as our book we read to the boys at night (we take turns picking a book, then read 1-2 chapters at night after our devotion). I have been picking the Little House books, as I have boys, and they won't read them otherwise, although they are really enjoying them. The scene where they woke up with a foot of snow on their beds really convinced me what a wimp I am. I don't know how they did it all without collapsing from exhaustion!

So, there may be a heat pump in our future. Which always reminds me of this Georgia Power commercial when I was a teenager -- old ladies sitting around a bridge table talking about a dinosawwr of an air conditioner. Those old ladies all sounded like my Meme or my Aunt Edna. And yes, we need one of those. Heat pumps, that is -- not old ladies playing bridge.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh! That is so expensive! I can't believe how expensive that is.

My parents think we keep our house cold and my mom always makes a big deal about bringing a sweater or an extra pair of socks. We keep our thermostat at 68- that is not cold to me. They keep theirs though at 74-75. I would be burning up if I had a house that warm.