Monday, January 28, 2008

When did Shoney's decide I'm in their target demographic?

I have a couple of friends who like to go out for breakfast. So, we're not ladies who lunch, we're ladies who breakfast. Perhaps that says something about us. Something like, we're cheap and easily distracted. Oooh, look at that shiny thing over there! What was I saying??

Actually, I don't even care for breakfast (just give me a cup or three of coffee and nobody will get hurt), but I am a friendly sort (or really I'll just jump at any chance to get out of the house), and so I go along. Last week, we went to Shoney's for the breakfast bar. It's probably an undeserved reputation, but Shoney's, to me, is redneck-o-rama. Right up there with the Awful Waffle in my view. Particularly in the morning on a weekday -- when most people who are not self-employed are already at work. However, again with the getting out of the house - at this point, beggars can't be choosy.

So, we're sitting there, having our typical mom conversation about our kids, the school, how different our older kids are from the younger ones, (I know, if you're not a mom -- major snooze factor, here) and I keep getting distracted by the music. It's like the 80s festival all up in there - I heard Paula Abdul/Forever Your Girl, Paco/Puttin' On the Ritz, and something by The Outfield. At one point, we commented that the only thing was missing was Michael Jackson (at which point we all made the skeeve face). So, what do you think was played within the next 10 minutes?

Now, I have a Theory. If I am in a store and they are playing songs from my teenage years (yes, I did grow up in the 80s, thank you very much), I figure they're pretty obviously targeting my age group, in the hope that as I'm bouncing along, happily reminiscing, I am filling up my buggy without noticing. I have noticed this phenomenon in both Wal-Mart and Michaels. That did not, however, bother me, because when I looked around, many of the other shoppers, were in fact, noticeably close to my age. However, if Shoney's is looking for my age group, and when I look around, I don't really see anyone who I think resembles me in age or situation, what does that say about me? Perhaps, you might be a redneck, if????????

1 comment:

LaLa said...

It's an unfair law of the universe that happily bopping along to the Thompson Twins makes the 80s generation spend money unwisely!

Thanks so much for the Elizabeth Peters tip. I'll keep an eye on that website for news.