Thursday, January 10, 2008

My favorite frugal place for books

I have been a member of www.paperbackswap.com for two years now. The way it works is really pretty simple: when you sign up, you post 9 books you are willing to swap, and get 2 free credits. You can use those credits right away to request a book from someone else. When someone requests one of your books, you access a .pdf file with a predesigned wrapper, print it and wrap up your book for mailing. You then mail it at first-class or media mail rate, whichever is cheaper. When the requestor receives your book, you get a credit to request one for yourself.

I have found some great new authors through their recommendations feature, and I have completed some collections of my favorite authors (most notably Elizabeth Peters ). You can post or request hardbound editions, if that's your preference.

I've posted thrifted or yard-saled books, and for approximately $2.50 I have requested a hardbound or popular book I've been dying to read. If a copy of the book you want isn't available, you can add it to your wish list, and the system will notify you when someone posts it.

Can you tell I'm really enthusiastic about this site? I still can't pass a bookstore without going in to check it out, but I sure don't spend much anymore, when this is an option for me!

No comments: