Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Veggies, Marketing, and Unexpected Insight

Although my older son is a bit old for them now, we went to see the new Veggie Tales movie yesterday. Older son actually has never been a huge Veggie fan, but indulges me (especially since we only go to the movies once a year or less). My younger son always enjoys the funny songs and action, action, action! (Having boys is so much fun, ya'll. Except when they've been cooped up too long and all that energy goes toward picking on one another.)

The movie was really cute and entertaining, although the songs did feel a bit grafted on to the story. I have to say, however, that movie previews have become significantly longer in the last few years. And why do movies rated G have previews for movies that are not rated G? There were fully 20 minutes' worth of previews before the movie started, and is it just me, or are they exponentially louder than the movie itself? (can you tell we don't get out much?)

Elder son actually got the allegory behind the story. When I asked them who the king was meant to represent, I wasn't expecting them to have the answer. I was really just making conversation, as we were sitting in a parking lot waiting for the next item on our busy social calendar to begin. He really surprised me by getting a lot of the symbolism in the movie. Oh, this former English teacher's heart grew three sizes that day. Or something like that.

No comments: