Wednesday, January 16, 2008

On Obedience

It struck me this morning, as I was explaining to my six-year-old that obey means do what you're told, when you're told to do it yet again, that sometimes I give God the same excuses my son gives to me. Such as:

--I didn't hear you. Oh, were you talking to me? I thought that was merely one of those stray thoughts that I could feel free to ignore. Because it didn't seem like something I would want to do.

--I forgot. Oh, that deny yourself and take up your cross thing? Well, I didn't think about that today. I was too busy.

--I thought you meant my brother. You know, the one who is more gifted and talented than me. Or just older and more experienced. Or more energetic. Or less busy.

Wow. That's some serious opportunity for improving my discipline staring me in the face. I wonder if I disappoint and frustrate God as often as my boys disappoint and frustrate me by not obeying? And if part of this parenthood journey is meant to open my eyes to where God is wanting to work on me? Thank you, Lord, that Your mercy is new every morning. May I do a better job of showing your mercy to those you have entrusted to my care.

No comments: